Sunday, August 10, 2008

Things I Learned from My Dad

I gave a talk in church the other day and as I was preparing for it I began a small list of things that I learned from my dad as I grew up. Not that I have put them all into practice yet. They are as follows:

1. If you think you can do it yourself, then do it yourself.
2. Bend with your knees
3. A good garden will produce ripe tomatoes by the fourth of July
4. Patience and logic breed better understanding and better resolution
5. Rube Goldberg isn't just a man; he is a way of life
6. The harder you work the better off you will be.

I am sure that many of you can think of more, but these are the ones first came to mind.

4 comments:

KariAnn said...

Great words to live by. I would love to have ripe tomatoes by the fouth of July! Mine still aren't ripe, yikes, what does that say about my gardening skills.

KariAnn said...

p.s. who's Rube Goldberg?

Angi said...

I love the Rube Goldberg thing- are you saying that dad's life has been like a Rube Goldberg machine? And did you mean "lift with your knees" or actually "bend with your knees"?

Meredith said...

Bending with your knees covers a wider range of things that don't necessarily include lifting. Unless you would consider shoveling a form of lifting, which I guess it could be. Kari, you are going to have to look up Rube Goldberg. You will understand when you see his work.